Friday, December 1, 2006

Homebuying and The Holidays...

Who in their right mind buys a home over "the Holidays"? Apparently Jason and I do...

My name is Marcella, and my husband is Jason. We're both 28 years old and are currently waiting to see if our first time every home purchase is going to be successful. We've done all the paperwork to buy a fabulous 1954 Yellow with red shutters Cape home in New Hampshire. Our home inspection is set for next Saturday and from there we'd be scheduled to close on the 29th... My fingers are crossed that everything is going to go as planned. My real estate agent (and close friend) is confident that things are great, but she's of German descent and I am of Italian descent and I think the worst until I am proven otherwise!!

By trade I am hairstylist. I specialize in 1930s thru 1970s formal styling (weddings, proms, photoshoots, etc...) and spend 99% of my time living and breathing vintage and retro. My husband works for the telephone company and plays acoustic rhythm guitar for a rockabilly combo. He too is a vintage everything fan. Our clothing, hair and home decor reflect this lo--errr... obsession!

It was important to us when seeking a house that it have elements of the past still intact or easily replaced/restored. Our initial preference was towards ranch homes, but unfortunately in New England, ranch homes in our price range were no bigger than summer cottages, so that led us to Capes (not New Englanders which somehow seem to slip into that category!) built in the early to mid 1950s. We've viewed houses in this style for about 3 weeks and came to find the one we're to be closing on by somewhat mistake... I sent my preference list of homes to view to my realtor and put the wrong house on the list... A sign maybe??? I don't know, but I am very glad to have been such an air head, because this home screams our names! Okay-- it screams 1972 at the current time, however minimal interior work will make it chant "Marcella and Jason!"

I am usually a myspace blogger, but as I've been snooping on the houseblogs.net site (literally, multiple times a day), I realized that I'm more interested in the like minded folks there than on teenagerspace. I hope to post photos of the house as soon as the dust and debris from the closing has settled! I will post photos of my current holiday set up (in our hideous brown carpeted living room) though!!!

No comments: